There’s some desserts that you end up growing out of when you enter into adulthood. Twinkies, Zebra Cakes, Cosmic Brownies… but never the Rice Krispie Treat. The Rice Krispie Treat is an iconic staple of childhood that still means as much to me as an adult as it did 20 years ago. There’s just something about pulling a chunk off and having a foot of sticky marshmallow string stretch out… heavenly.
Even though these tasty treats are easy to make, I’ve found a quicker and simpler way to make them. I really can’t take credit for this idea, being that I found it on the back of a Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallow bag. But when you start to think about it, the marshmallows are the best part… so why wouldn’t we use the recipe from the marshmallow brand?! For all of you, I will spread this recipe so that you’ll never have to make messy stove-top treats again!
Easy Gooey Rice Cereal Treats
- 40 Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows
- 6 c. rice cereal (C’mon, we all know there’s only one real brand!)
- 3 tbsp. butter
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper onto your kitchen top (it should be at least 2 feet long).
- Place the butter into a microwave-safe bowl and melt it (about 45 seconds in the microwave).
- Add marshmallows to melted butter and stir around to make sure that every marshmallow is coated.
- Put back in microwave for 1.5 minutes.
- When you pull the bowl out of the microwave, immediately add rice cereal and stir.
- Scoop out the gooey treats onto the parchment paper and spread out evenly.
- Let them cool for at least 30-45 minutes before cutting them into squares.
There’s so many options! Recently I used Christmas tree cookie cutters to cut out the treats for a party. I’ve also done this with football cookie cutters and used sprinkles/M&Ms to decorate it in my team’s color.
This is such a simple recipe of a childhood favorite that will be sure to give you a sweet, nostalgic feeling.